The Featured Image
The Featured Image is the feature that comes from WordPress core, and allows to create thumbnails for your WordPress theme. Every post and page can have its own Featured Image in WordPress. The Featured Image can be shown in archive views, page templates, widgets and single views.
Setting Featured Images
- Within the Post or Page Editor in your Dashboard, scroll down to the “Featured Image” section which is located in the sidebar.
- Click Set featured image to add your Featured Image.
- Upload an image from your computer, or select one from your Media Library.
- Once an image is uploaded, click on Set featured image on the bottom right corner of the image settings.
- Publish or update your post when you are ready.
WordPress themes usually define multiple image sizes for the Featured Image. As a result, WordPress will crop uploaded Featured Image to all these sizes when you set a Featured Image. These different sized images will be used by theme on various locations on your website.
Removing Featured Images
You can also delete your Featured Image by clicking Remove featured image in the “Featured Image” section.
Replacing Featured Images
Alternatively, you can replace the Featured Image to another one by clicking the Replace Image button in the “Featured Image” section.